When we found out we were having another girl, it seemed as if toys were multiplying overnight! So when we purchased our house, I knew right away that we would not be using our ‘formal sitting room’ anytime soon, and that somehow, I needed lots of play space and toy storage. We also love to entertain our family and friends, so I swore I would find a way to turn our living room back into a useable ADULT space.
My inspiration for the girl’s play room was feminine but neutral, safe, functional, and imaginative enough for developing little minds yet slightly on the modern side for when our adult visitors come by.
I’m a sucker for all of the cute girly things but I love finding a deal! For storage and functionality I purchased a lot of things from Ikea, HomeGoods, Overstock, and even Target.
- For decor, I’m a little more picky and love to search high and low for fun, unique pieces. One of my favorite shops to browse is The Land of Nod. The Land of Nod has enough to keep you busy for hours of online shopping and is sure to spark your creativity. Their prices are great and frequently have sales!
- Another online shop I utilized was Modern Nursery. They carry a TON of name brand baby/toddler brands and offer awesome discounts and shipping rates when a lot of those name brands are not.
- If you’re a mama on Instagram, I’m sure you’ve debated on purchasing a Lorena Canals rug. Despite how beautiful they are, I had to do my research before buying a rug that costs more than a lot of girls’ furniture. I read many reviews from other mama’s and thankfully, a close girlfriend SWEARS by hers. All of Lorena Canal’s rugs are 100% machine washable, so as a mama with almost 2 under 2 AND two dogs, that is a HUGE positive. Also, they’re handmade with non-toxic dyes and extremely soft. We decided to go with the World Map rug and I don’t regret it one bit!
- For the walls, truthfully, I just wanted to go pink and imagined the girls twirling around in princess gowns – but I had to remember, “ADULT ENTERTAINING, KRYSTAL! NORMALCY, KRYSTAL!” So, we decided on soft gray walls with white 1″ wall decals from Urban Walls. They were the easiest thing to put up totally transformed the space! Check out their website or Instagram for more beautiful prints and designs.
- Last but not least, don’t ever forget about ETSY. A former high school friend of mine recently opened her own Etsy shop where she designs and hand paints custom calligraphy canvases. The ‘I love you, girls’ canvas was done by her, along with a few other pieces that I have hanging in our home. She has so many beautiful designs on her Instagram: @LettersByBrit and is seriously, the most affordable custom canvas shop EVER.